Thursday, February 5, 2009

WEB as a tool

Paul Navarre a web developer from net interaction spoke to us this evening about using the web as a tool.  I appreciated his comment of just considering it a tool, and not, as an educator trying to figure out how to use the technology in the classroom.  I do think in the beginning just learning a form of technology, if has to be much more intentional, though.  Once a person become more used to the tool, and more comfortable, it can more easily be incorporated into an instructional tool.  Soon it becomes the white board in the classroom.  In my own building, I have watched this evolution of document cameras and smart boards.  They are becoming second nature in many of the classrooms.

The use of the web as a communication tool is invaluable.  If you visit my school's web page and go to the 7th grade team, check out Mrs. Wood.  She has many examples that Paul was recommending.  The challenge, is parents comparing teachers.  "Why does Mrs. Wood have all this information on their web page, but no other teachers do?" The question for many teachers is finding the balance between enabling students and teaching responsibility.  Even our current world, with so much information available, I can't believe this is enabling.  A lot of work, yes, but not enabling.

1 comment:

  1. Just looked at Lonnie Wood's page. Well done. Tell her I was particularly impressed with her Podcast page. Would she mind of I linked it to my site? The comparing teachers issue is a tough one. YOu want to encourage innovation, bring people along, but know that takes time. Also, one person's passion is another person's bane.

    ReplyDelete